Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Day 2 - a new partnership developed

The faculty of the Universidad de Cordoba son las muy bueno con mucho hospitalitas! Everyone here is so incredibly welcoming and open to sharing ideas for how our two Universities can work together.  Today we heard from one of the Vice Rectors regarding a Masters degree in Peace. The program focuses on conflict resolution and the fundamentals of a peaceful approach ands structure to communication.  My thoughts led me to considering ways we can integrate this idea of respect and appreciation for each other's cultures in our first year student's experience.  Intentionally integrating the concept of global competency, global awareness, and conflict resolution could be a unique experience for our first-year students. I'm excited to return to VCU and explore these possibilities.  This experience in just a short 2 days has already expanded and enriched my approach to respecting the idea of inclusion.  And, I look forward to building a strong partnership with my colleagues and new found "familia" a las Universidad de Cordoba.

I've challenged myself to attempt to speak Spanish as much as possible. And, I've found that my Spanish colleagues want to do the same with their English.  We've decided to give each other permission to say all the wrong words, use incorrect tenses, and speak very slowly...it's been fantastic...lol. I've established "pen pals" so that I can practico escribo en espanol...  I'm sure I have even written incorrectly right now...lol.  But, I'll improve with practice :)

Today, we visited La Mazquita de Cordoba (Cordoba Mosque...also known as the Cathedral of Cordoba).  This is a structure with origins beginning in the 8th century! It's absolutely breathtaking.  La Mazquita has an architectural approach that incorporates the Christian, Islamic, and Jewish religions.  There are many aspects of the structure that include the Star of David, Islamic arches, and the Christian cross...representing a sense of acceptance of all religions.  The Cathedral was built in multiple layers by various Caliphs and even a General over various years from mid/late 700s -17th century.  It's unbelievable...and I found myself extremely emotional as I walked under the arches for the first time.

We had another 3 hour lunch...OMG...that later led to a 6 hour dinner.  Yes, folks...it's 3am Spain time and we are just getting in from dinner. Is this my life right now?  Again...am I dreaming?

The food is fantastic! I ate a salad today with partridge ...

Everything I imagined that Andulcia Spanish culture to be...it is and more.

Ok... I'm off to bed now because we start our day at 9am with more fantastic opportunities to meet with faculty, and of course ...more eating and more wine...and more eating and more wine.

Hasta luego!


No comments:

Post a Comment